Re: Scheme is too complicated

>Is there a mechanism to make a new type, or are all extended types
>going to be these sorts of ad-hoc pasting together of information?
>
>It seems like this would be an argument against calling Scheme/Guile a
>VHLL.  When a vector is no longer a vector (i.e., has significantly
>more internal structure) it shouldn't be a vector.  It deserves its
>own type.

Extending the type system is unfortunately yet another area where

Scheme has been slow to standardise. It's not that you can't do it -

just load up tclos.scm and you will get what you want. It's just not

standardised.

IMHO, we desperately, desparately need a stardard OO system. Otherwise

the C++ crowd are going to come along and say - yeah - higher level

functions are neat, but I don't want to have to give up dynamic

binding and a proper type system to get it.