Re: gc notes available

Jim Blandy wrote:
> Which would people prefer?
> 1) Guile becomes slower overall, but does not pause noticeable for GC.
> 2) Guile becomes faster overall, and most GC pauses become
>    unnoticable, but does still pause occsionally?

I would prefer either 1), or a run-time choice.

I consider 2) to be unacceptable for GUI applications.  GUI code /must/
be able to give real-time feedback to the user.  Hackers like us may
be willing to put up with GUIs that don't, but I want to write end-user
applications that feel at least as smooth and responsive as MacPaint did
back in 1984... given that my computer is approximately 200 times as
fast as the one that MacPaint ran on, that's not unreasonable, is it?

> Failing that, I think 2) is what most of the Guile community wants.

Maybe, but then Guile will remain a language used by hackers and
researchers for niche applications and will not be suitable for
mass-market GUI development.

--