Re: gc notes available

hjstein@bfr.co.il (Harvey J. Stein) writes:

> The real issue is *how* big, *how* long, and *how* bad.

Yes, of course!  I have a Motif program that links in Guile, and the
time waiting for gc is less than the time it takes for the X Server to
create a new window, for example.  Sometimes guile gc's when the user
is typing in a text box, and it's barely noticeable.

> You also stated that generational GC also doesn't prevent scanning
> all of memory.  This is right too, but I'd expect that anyone who
> has an app for which this presents a problem will be able to tune gc
> usage to deal with it - i.e. - adjust generation creation parameters
> & collect during appropriate pauses in interaction.

The analogy to Emacs is telling; it scans the entire data space, and
gc time is not a problem for most interactive work.

-russ

--
When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President.  Now
I'm beginning to believe it.