Re: tools to make non-conservative GC feasible.

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> Greg Harvey writes:
> > Personally, I'd rely more on the highly unlikely case of the
> > conservative gc breaking, than the quite likely case of a programmer
> > screwing up explicit marking
>
> As I've noted, though, we *could* pretty easily build tools to catch
> this automatically.

Quite right, but will it even be possible to catch all uses that can
cause problems? I would think maybe, but continuations &
setjmp/longjmp are somewhat iffy. If we can't be 100% sure of catching
all the problems, what benefit do we really achieve over conservative
marking? We make execution time worse, still have some uncertainty
over the correctness of the code (and the chances of fatal errors in
messed up explicit marking seem larger to me than the chances of fatal
errors in the conservative scan, though the optimized away variables
really need to be addressed in a clean way), and have made life that
much more annoying for the c side of things (I think it's annoying
enough as it is ;).

--
Greg