Re: Is it OK to pass an SCM through (void *)?

Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@MIT.EDU> writes:

> No, what I was suggesting is not rewriting the app so that Guile is in
> control of everything - what I was suggesting is that you can have an
> app that creates gnome and/or gtk widgets, and has an embedded Guile
> interpreter, and link guile-gtk (and maybe also gnome-guile) and mix
> the widgets created from C with ones created from Scheme. Thus, C
> would still be the master world, but you could create arbitrary GUI
> add-ons from the configuration/extension language.

Sheesh.  I would have presumed that all those things stuck together
would have a reasonable chance of stepping on each other's toes...

> This is, admittedly, still a fairly radical goal (although the user
> could probably do it anyway with (use-modules (gtk gtk)) ), but it
> may also be useful to look at what guile-gtk does to bind Guile
> procedures to Gtk signals and copy that.

OK.  For now, what I'm doing is pretty straightforward, so I can get
by with substantial simplifications.  There's a whole lot of work left
to do before the GNOME/Guile version of GnuCash is ready for prime
time, so I'm trying not to make any one part too complex these days
(though I feel like I'm not always succeeding :> ).

Thanks