Re: autogen?

Jim> How would folks feel about switching Guile to this system?  Among
Jim> folks who have used both Guile's way and GTK+'s way, which do you
Jim> prefer?

I prefer having the built files in the repository.  Use
AM_MAINTAINER_MODE, and spurious rebuilds won't happen to most people.
In this scenario only people who need to hack configure.in or a
Makefile.am will need the maintainer tools.

Take a look at the last month's archives of the Gnome mailing list.
There you can see many, many people struggling with the current
scheme.  Arguably this is the fault of the tools -- but us tool people
don't get these reports, the Gnome hackers do.

If you really like the Gnome style, though, use `autoreconf' and not
autogen.  I particularly dislike autogen, though I guess I don't have
a very good reason why.

Tom