Re: setf.scm

Per> In earlier discussions on this topic, we talked about a generalized
Per> set! form.  Now, suddenly everyone is talking about setf!.  Why
Per> this sudden poorly-motivated name-change?

I am afraid this is my doing.

My motivation for suggesting this to Mikael (in the course of porting
STk's tiny-clos implementation) was that I had a bad feeling about
extending a standard form in a non-compatible way. If we must extend
guile, then lets us leave the R4RS parts as they are, I thought, with
the feeling that it is easier for somebody moving code out of guile to
write a fresh new macro rather than having to go through the hoops to
redefine an existing one.

Perhaps this is just me working in paranoia mode again. STk also
extends set!.

Christian Lynbech          | Telebit Communications A/S
Fax:   +45 8628 8186       | Fabrik 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8628 8177 + 28  | email: chl@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.telebit.dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)