Re: user-options

 >> > let me repeat my point (it would be nice if you looked at my previous
 >> > message and told me what was confusing there :)
 >> >
 >> > `user-options' is a list of symbols.
 >> > I take one of them, `FOO', and look at it's value
 >> >         (symbol-binding #f 'FOO)
 >> > if it's a procedure, I decide that a value of a user option can't be a
 >> > procedure [this is a weak point, but let me repeat: a user option is
 >> > something the user will be typing in at a prompt. you don't expect him
 >> > to type a `lambda', do you?  if he can, he is using `scwmrepl' anyway],
 >> > so this must be what Robbe called "a complex variable", so I assume that
 >> > the getter is (FOO) and the setter is (SET-FOO! user-input).
 >> >

 >> Yes, user-settable variables can have procedures as values, for example
 >>
 >> winops.scm: move-opaquely?, resize-opaquely?
 >> style.scm: default-style-condition-handler
 >> auto-raise.scm: default-auto-raise-focus-proc, default-auto-raise-unfocus-proc
 >> winlist.scm: window-list-proc
 >>
 >> I think most of these can be set meaningfully by the user by, e.g.,
 >> typing in the name of a procedure that's a valid and useful value.
 >>
 >> There are also some user-settable vars that may have a procedure as a
 >> value at some times but not others.

(eq 'user-settable 'user-option)
        => nil

user-option is something that people who never see ~/.scwmrc set via
GUI.  Do you expect those who use the GUI to be able to remember names
of system functions?

Nevertheless, you do have a point: doing it your way loses nothing.
Except when someone clueless sets move-opaquely? to sdfgsdfgsdfgsdfgsf
and then complains that the gui lets him damage himself.

BTW, can guile open 4GB files?
(linux can create such things...)

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.goems.com/~sds) running RedHat5.2 GNU/Linux
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,