Re: In the search of heap enlightenment...

Greg Harvey <Greg.Harvey@thezone.net> writes:

> Ok, there's a version up now that supports ncells == 1 or 2. I haven't
> actually tested the ncells = 2 bit, though ;) It adds
> SCM_NEWCELL2(foo), for getting a four-word cell into foo. There should
> probably be a new structure for 4 word cells, but I don't have the
> slightest idea what to call words 3 & 4 (extra & extra2?).
>
> http://home.thezone.net/~gharvey/guile/guilegc.r2.tar.gz

This is really great!

That means that we can eliminate extra indirections and extra memory
and extra overhead for initialization of pointers on whole bunch of
places.

E. g., if we represent subrs with this new cell type, we can store
their names and properties in a more reasonable way than currently.

You're really doing a great job.

I hope I'll be able to look into it soon.

But there's a number of things I have to finish and commit first.

/mdj