Re: In the search of heap enlightenment...

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

> Why, just call the four fields car, cbr, ccr, cdr. ;-)

An excellent idea!  :-)

Actually, I wonder if it is necessary to have a name for it.

We're not often going to build list structures using both the CAR and
the CDR and the two extra fields simultaneously.

Also, I think we should use this feature internally only.  I don't
think it should be visible for the user.

So, I don't see any problem with accessing all four fields in cell x with

  SCM_CELL (x)[i]

where i = 0 .. 3 and SCM_CAR and SCM_CDR retaining their current meaning.

This will generalize naturally if we decide to add further cell types.

> Hmm, anything happening with the "internal defines" patch?  Just
> curious.

Sorry...  I have created a directory for it with an eval.c with both
patches applied, but I haven't look at it yet.  :(

I'll do that "real soon now".

/mdj