Re: %load-path when Guile sits in /usr.

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

> I think that when Guile is part of a OS distribution (for example as a
> Debian or RPM package) and is thus installed in /usr, then it should
> add /usr/local/share/guile (and /usr/local/share/guile/site?) to its
> default load path.

This is actually something I am going to be trying to deal with over
the next few days, as the Debian maintainer for guile.

> Is that reasonable?  Where should this be done?  I think it is
> basically a packaging problem so that the Debian or RPM maintainer
> should take care to get the default load path right, but the base
> Guile package should of course provide enough support for doing this
> cleanly.  Do we have enough support?  I think the GUILE_LOAD_PATH
> variable should be reserved for the user.

Well, in a round about way we do, which is that they can just modify
it themselves in the source code.  I do not know of an easy way to add
to %load-path at compile time, perhaps we should make a ./configure
argument for this?