Re: Suggestion: New Guile mailing list

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 12:04:09AM -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
> > When is this list going to move to a system that has an MTA and an MLM
> > that has enough spare cycles to deliver to less then a thousand people in
> > less then an hour?

Yes, as Per said, we're moving some of our really big mailing lists
from sendmail+majordomo to qmail and ezmlm+idx.  Mhonarc vs hypermail
is an unrelated issue; after a lot of configuration fiddling around,
I'm happier with mhonarc.  (not hard--hypermail is a mess internally)

We only have a handful of lists moved so far, only one of them is a big
list (the EGCS discussion list with around 700 subscribers).  With just
this one big list on the system, messages are distributed to the entire
list in ~15 minutes.  We'll be moving more really big lists to the system
in the near future and possibly things will slow down a bit when we have
a lot more traffic.  I can write a summary to anyone who wants to know
how it behaves once we throw more big lists at it.

A downside to qmail/ezmlm is that it is very different.  Everyone I
know is familiar with sendmail and majordomo--no one I know is familiar
with qmail/ezmlm.  It's been a learning experience. :-)

Jason