Re: another newbie question

Vadim Zaliva <lord@crocodile.org> writes:

> On 15 Jan 1999, Russ McManus wrote:
>
> > > [C]->[Scheme]->[C]-[Scheme]
> > >
> > > I can't make it work for some reason.
> >
> > Yes this should be possible..  What are the symptoms of your problem?
> > >From your sparse description, it's hard to give you much assistance.
>
> Well, in simpliest case I am doin gh_enter, once main_prog passes as
> pointer to gh_enter is invoked I am doing gh_eval_file from there.

At this point, guile should be initialized and ready to go.

> Somewhere in this file am am calling some function which I've defined
> using gh_new_procedure(. Function is called OK, but if in this function I
> am trying to do gh_eval_string it simply exits without any error message.
> Even call to somethng like (+ 1 2) does not work.

Can you put together a simple program that doesn't work, so I can
look at it?  I know that this sort of thing works, because I have
some programs that do precisely this, and it works fine.

> Are threads are optional part of guile? I am using GUILE packaged
> with RedHat linux and it seems not to have any thread functions,
> like call-with-new-thread/2. Since shared lib is part of this
> distribution it will be better to use it, rather than staticaly
> linking some other version to my code.

Threads are optional, if my memory serves me correctly.  Try
configuring with --disable-threads, rebuild, and let me know what
'guile-config link' prints on stdout.  With threads enabled on Solaris
2.5.1, it should print out:

-L/opt/guile/lib -lguile -lqthreads -ldl -ltermcap -lsocket -lnsl -lm

Without --disable-threads, the '-lqthreads' should not be there.

I hope this helps,

-russ

--
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.  Unreasonable people
attempt to adapt the world to themselves.  All progress, therefore,