Re: Case sensitivity: a difference between Scheme and R5RS.

Mark Galassi <rosalia@cygnus.com> writes:

>     Craig> What does case-sensitivity of the guile reader have to do
>     Craig> with supporting C or emacs?
>
> emacs lisp is case sensitive, so translation of elisp code is easier
> if you have a Guile mode that is case sensitive.

I'm sorry, I should have said:

What does the default case-sensitivitgy of the guile reader have to do
with supporting C or elisp.

I think it should default to the R?RS case-insensitivity myself.  Any
mechanism for the translation, or handling of another language should
be responsible for changing the case sensitivity appropriately.  With
the present default we are not r?rs compliant, nor do we have C or
elisp support.  With the default being case insensitive we will be one
step closer to r?rs compliance, and will not have in any way reduced
guile's ability to support case-sensitive languages.

This may be influenced by my major mode of guile usage being as a
scheme implementation, not an embeddable extension language for
applications that exist primarily in a case-sensitive world.  For this
reason I could entertain the idea that case-sensitivity is being
consistent with the environment in which guile is predominantly used.
I think that this argument is a possible justification for
case-sensitivity being the default in the guile reader, but the
argument for supporting case-sensitive languages is an illegitimate
one with no real ground to stand on.