Re: embedding question: defining symbols?

Jim Blandy writes:

 > You have the right idea.  However, guile doesn't have first-class
 > environments at the moment; we just use ordinary hash tables to map
 > our symbols to their values.

What scheme implementations do have first-class environments? Scheme48/scsh
and Rscheme maybe? Could someone give a pseudo-scheme example that elucidates
what first-class environments are and what breaks when they are not available,
in a similar way in which the elisp manual explains first-class closures that
lack in elisp, as opposed to scheme.

 > So I think (if I can read your C++) that you want to make a C++ class
 > that wraps Guile symbol objects with a few methods, and then use a
 > Dictionary<Guile_Symbol> in class Bla.  That is, find some way to use
 > symbols as the keys in your table.
 >
 > When Guile acquires real first-class environments, then you may want
 > to change your code.
 >
 > I wonder if Guile's new MOP could somehow accomodate your classes, and
 > let LilyPond objects be subclassed in Scheme, etc.

I'd like to be able to do something in that direction with D. Acostachioaie's
libXterminal (despite its name it is curses based and has nothing to do with
X11). Doing something similar with the gnuish qt-replacement Harmony might
sound interesting, too. (if that project makes it anywhere)
--
Klaus Schilling