Re: Extending Guile

mfox@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Mark Fox) writes:

> (For example, should I use the gh_* or the scm_* interface.)

Generally, you should ues the gh_ interface, except when you can't.
(There, does that help?).  Seriously, the gh_ interface is usually
sufficient.

Sometimes you may be forced to drop into the scm_ interface.  This
should generally be avoided.  I tend to not follow my own advice on
this one, but only for hysterical reasons.

> Unfortunately, I also have the problem that I
> will not only have plugin procedures, but plugin classes, to export.

You need to create smobs around your classes, and primitive procedures
around the class's methods.  Please take a gander at this stuff, and
then perhaps we can answer specific questions:

  http://sanpietro.red-bean.com/guile/notes/data-rep/data_toc.html

> 	I'm new to, but fairly comfortable with Scheme.  I'm a
> competent C and C++ programmer.  I can even appreciate how Guile's
> conservative garbage collector works.  But for the life of me, I just
> don't know where to begin.  _Any_ discussion or pointers would be
> helpful and much appreciated.

The above is a good read, IMHO.

-russ

--
 "Unfortunately the only Windows feature inspired by Emacs was size."
             -- Nick C. in alt.religion.emacs