Re: what does 'thunk' mean?

roland.kaufmann@space.at writes:

> Talking about fancy names, does anybody know why there seems to be a
> tendency towards ``less friendly'' names for Scheme/Lisp systems
> lately (or is it just me ;-)
>
>   Rabbit  nil  T  Guile  Liar  Larceny  Stalin

What it is, is that it's to show disrespect to the man, who wants to
keep us down by forcing us to code in c, c++, perl or some equally
ugly language. A name like larceny, for example, says "Hey the man,
we're going to use a decent language, and will have a feature filled
working program while you're still trying to figure out the STL.'

Then again, it might just be that `Guile' sounds much cooler than
`Fluffy White GNU Scheme Thing'.

> (I don't know enough Tolkien to place Hobbit in this subjective
> ranking).

Definately towards the nice end of the scale.

--
Greg