Re: An insanely slow guile is the latest standard release! (fwd)

On 8 Feb 1999, Greg Harvey wrote:

> linux, actually; how often to you see it stressed that "If a bug is
> found, a patch is available a few hours later to fix it", as opposed
> to commercial operating systems, where you wait months at a time for
> even the simplest of bugs to be fixed. There isn't really any benefit
> to doling out releases frugally.

Another bonus is that releases let people know you are alive.  If I am
looking at some piece of software and it looks like there hasn't been even
a minor release for most of a year, I start to wonder if people are
actually working on it.  Notice the recent furor over Gimp 1.1, and how
people were assuming that development was pretty much dead because there
were no releases coming out, while development was being done via IRC.

Guile isn't quite that bad, but new releases get mentioned on Freshmeat
and other such places, so they serve as a sort of advertisement for guile.
They remind people that it's out there, and an upbeat announcement to go
with it is effectively advertising for users (And Now loads
300% faster!) Guile looked like it was rather dead for a while between 1.2
and 1.3 (this is my own personal experience, before I joined this list).
Touting a new version on the web page makes it look more vital.

Of course, it would also be nice not to have to explain to my boss why the
load balancing software needs a 'beta' version out of CVS.

just my $.02 (as someone who has no standing as anything but a user)

Erik
erik@msc.tamu.edu