RE: how to locally eval??

In message Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:09:55 PST,
  "Daniel Lakeland" <dlakelan@hotmail.com>  writes:
> the idea being that somevar is a local variable, which contains the
> result of reading in some variable name from a file, and someval is some
> string read from a file.

Why do you want to change local variables in this way?

I say this with no specific knowledge, but I'd imagine something like
local-eval would take an environment as an argument or something... but I
don't quite understand how the environment stuff really works (I've tried
playing with it, but without much success since I don't know where to
start).

There might be another way of going about what you are trying to do, but I
don't what you are trying to do.  Macros wouldn't work at all -- they can
only do syntactic sugar.  If you are trying to do some sort of translation,
maybe you can fold the translation together with whatever you are trying to
do here.

             -- Ian Bicking