Re: libguile and readline

Richard Stallman writes:
 > It might be reasonable to divide what is now Guile
 > into a part that carries the license exception, and a part
 > that is not relevant to writing most extensible applications
 > and does not carry the exception.

Are there good reasons to provide some add-on modules under the strict
GNU GPL, even though they are not based on strongly copylefted libraries?

In addition, I've seen some contributed add-on on the guile developper
site that uses a stronly copylefted library and still gives the exception
permission, so this has been done illegally? (A. Archibald's gdbm module)

 > If we do this, it would be reasonable for the part that does not
 > carry the exception to use Readline.

There are some technical non-copyright-related reasons not to include
readline into an application: For example, it messes  termios- curses- and
termcap-modules up.
--
Klaus Schilling