Optional Arguments

In the project I am working on, I am wanting to use optional
arguments like:

(foo bar #:x 100 #:y 200)

where foo is a c procedure.  I thought the easiest way to handle this
would be to make foo a procedure with one required argument, bar, and
one rest argument, and then to parse the rest list for value pairs.
But I guess I don't know how to do this --  What are #:x and #:y in c?
I can't do a SCM_CHARS() to find out what they are (and yet, I can
gh_display() them)

Any help or advice appreciated,

--
James Dean Palmer                            Graduate Student
james@tiger-marmalade.com                    Visualization Sciences Program