Re: gtk or sql as module?

Ingo Hohmann <ingo_hohmann@public.uni-hamburg.de> writes:

> some time ago I downloaded guile-gtk and squile. Both of them are
> implemented in C and create a new guile executable with their
> respective new functionality.  But I would like to use sql and gtk
> at the same time, how is this possible?

If possible, distributed guile packages should support dynamic loading
so that you can link in as many modules as you want at run time.  If
the distributed packages don't support dynamic loading, or your
platform doesn't, then you will need to build the combined guile
executable yourself.

Start with the main.c of one of the two packages.  If the name of the
module is (database squile), then you will see calls to functions with
names like this:

 scm_init_database_squile_module();  /* the pre-init function */
 scm_init_squile();                  /* the init function; the name may vary */

Now you need to add calls to the analgous functions for the other
package.  To figure out the names of the functions, look in the source
for the other package.  Next, you need to hack up LIBS in the Makefile
so that the right files will be available at link time.

I guess it's really not all that easy, but the above should get you
started.  I hope this helps,

-russ

--
"Given two unrelated technical terms, an Internet search engine will
retrieve only resumes."