Re: libguile and readline

    We must find a solution which is practical.  It would be sad if
    license problems were allowed to reduce the usefulness of the library.

These are not license problems, they are license features.  Using the
GPL plus a special exception for Guile is very important to enable
Guile to compete with other language interpreters.  Using the GPL
plain for Readline has already given us at least one additional useful
free application.  But because the two packages have different
licenses, we can't make one automatically use the other.

If that results in some limitation in using Readline with Guile on
some non-GNU systems, the price is well worth paying, for the benefits
that these licenses have brought.

However, if we can avoid the limitation, that would be even better.
It ought to be possible for an app to link Readline statically with
Guile, by specifying explicit linker arguments.