Re: [RFD] Guile projects page

Greg Harvey <Greg.Harvey@thezone.net> writes:

> I've been thinking about starting a comprehensive projects page (both
> for ongoing modifications to the core and addons). Currently, there's
> only hints and possibilities that someone is working on a particular
> thing, so it's hard to know whether it's worthwhile to start hacking
> at something, or to wait for someone else to (maybe) finish it, so
> things are sort of deadlocked. In particular, I think it'd be a great
> way to get more people on the same page, to get the status of a
> particular feature, and make it easy to find both help and testers for
> a particular project (which is a good idea even for things that aren't
> really ready for mass consumption... a good example is the work I've
> done on the gc, where the really cool ideas and code came from Dale
> Jordan and Michael Livshin :).
>
> Ideas, comments?

Great idea!  Especially considering the apparent problems with the
archives, we really need people to feel confident that they won't be
duplicating work.

For example, who is working on the documentation for guile-core?  A
handful of volunteers, well-organized, could get this done in a week or
two, and it'd be a *huge* win for the project.  Guile is "competing"
against well-documented implementations of Scheme such as SIOD, STk,
etc.  It's hard (despite being the fan that I am) to recommend guile to
people looking for a scripting language given its current state of poor
documentation.

Greg