Re: thread local variables

Per Bothner <bothner@cygnus.com> writes:

> > Right.  Bindings created with fluid-let are thread local,
>
> Not quite, at least in my version:  Bindings (not just values)
> are inherited by child threads.
>
> It is possible the disagreement may be because I have not
> explain fluid-let well enough, or you think it does something
> different than I intend.

You may be right.  During last night, I came up with this example,
and I would like to hear how it could be done with fluid-let.

You have three threads.  Thread a is in a repl.  Threads b and c
are cooperating on some task, and want to share a binding for
(current-output-port).  Thread a should have a different binding
for (current-output-port).

This one is easy with parameterizations, but I can't think of
how to do it with fluid-let.  As you pointed out, this may be
because I don't fully understand what fluid-let gives you.

I am going to read the whole of your message more carefully later
today, because there is lots of good stuff in there.

Thanks,
-russ

--
There are two kinds of people in the world:  people who think there
are two kinds of people and people who don't.