Re: Initial projects list

Klaus Schilling <Klaus.Schilling@home.ivm.de> writes:

> Greg Harvey writes:
>  >
>  > Since the intent is to have this hosted on red-bean (so an official
>  > gnu page), pointing to commercial software is probably a very good way
>  > to get lynched ;)
>
> Then why is S*base pointed to earlier? And shouldn't it be rather 'proprietary'
> then 'commercial'? RMS uses to eat people alive for confusing those.

It's a pointer to guile code, not a pointer to sybase; the code can be
useful on it's own, without actually having the db (though to just
call it Russ McManus' code to interface an unnamed database might be
rather confusing), and if anyone's interested, they either just want
to look at the code for ideas on how to manage a db interface, or
already have the db, in which case you're forcing them to look
elsewhere for their scripting needs. Also, when the generic db
interface is ready, chances are it will work with both free and
non-free db's, but we're not going to not mention that.

OTOH, FreeCiv is about to have RealCiv competition (CTP) on free
software platforms (lincity already does, though the simcity port
isn't really usable with a current linux without a lot of fiddling),
so pushing Civilization, for example, would likely be a detriment to a
free software project. For the most part, though, it probably doesn't
matter: anyone who's interested already knows about both freeciv and
ctp, but when there is a choice, I personally think it's best to point
to the free software.

--
Greg