Re: Guile project submissions draft

Bruce Korb <korb@datadesign.com> writes:

> > Also, since the pages will likely be statically generated, it would
> > waste space to have the same project on several pages.
>
> True.  But are we talking about an indexing issue or a placement
> issue?  Putting a project in multiple indexes ought not mandate
> multiple pages for the project.

Actually, what I'm thinking is that, for each catagory a page is
generated, which contains the projects in that catagory. So, the
Library/Database page would look like (crude drawing):

+----------------------------------+
| Library 1                        |
+----------------------------------+

+----------------------------------+
| Library 2                        |
+----------------------------------+

and so on (for large catagories, it probably should be split into
multiple pages, but that's not important). Now, say Library 2 also
supports special features for accessing the database over a
network. So, you add Library/Networking:

+----------------------------------+
| Networking 1                     |
+----------------------------------+

+----------------------------------+
| Library 2                        |
+----------------------------------+

which is a waste of space. I don't think this really gains you
anything, either, because if someone's looking for the database, they
wouldn't look under networking; all it has gained is a cluttered
networking catagory where you spend most of your time just sifting
through things that are marginally related to networking.

I think a good litmus test for this is: If you had to describe it in
one sentence, without adding a lot of marketing blurb or commas (say
you're describing it to someone you respect >;'), how would you do it?

Generally, one catagory should provide a fairly good fit, and you can
elaborate on additional features or uses. A keyword field for project
entries + a keyword search facility is the better way to achieve this
(it should still be fairly conservative about the keywords assigned,
though... remember, the goal isn't to pimp your guile thing to every
person who comes looking, it's to help people find what they're
actually looking for).

--
Greg