Re: Guile project submissions draft 2

thi <ttn@mingle.glug.org> writes:

> how about this: each update generates a receipt tag (say, a 16-character
> random string) that is mailed back to the user.  this can be then used
> as an `undo' parameter to the backend (presumably RCS or CVS) that then
> can manipulate previous versions via the tag.  in fact, you don't need
> to stop w/ "undo"; just declare your backend as CVS and then allow a
> subset of the cvs commands (including "undo").  this vastly simplifies
> your task.  you just make sure `(cvs X ARG1 ARG2...)' has proper X.

Actually, I think that undo & friends is a bit of overkill... it's
just as easy for the person making the submission to keep an rcs/cvs
of their submissions, and use that to revert if desired. Keeping a
history of changes (status & probably a few other fields) can be
useful; providing full revision control of entries is only an
additional load on the server without providing anything that can't be
more easily done in other ways.

--
Greg