Re: forcing guile to collect *all* garbage?

Michael Livshin <mike@olan.com> writes:

> In general, you should not assume that GC guarantees that all
> unreferenced objects are freed.  GC's job is to automate memory
> management for you, no more and no less.  If you want reliable
> deallocation, use other means (i.e. deallocate things explicitly in
> one way or another).  That said, Guile's current GC _can_ be relied
> upon to scan and free everything.  It's not something you should
> expect to remain true forever, though.

Well, it should always free all free objects... it's whether they're
promptly freed (or, in fact, would be freed in our lifetime ;) that's
the issue, and gc's don't really make any kind of guarentee on the
lifetime of dead objects, just that they should eventually be finished
off.

--
Greg