Re: Direction

> 1: generic extension library/interpreter. This is the direction
>    we advertise the most, and the one chapioned by projects like
>    CTAX, tcl->scheme, Sonya, etc. If this is the path we want to
>    follow, the priority should be in constructs to allow bizarre
>    Perl and Python constructs (one example that comes to mind:
>    Python's "type" type)

I'm quite dubious that there's any real commitment to this from
Guile developers.  CTAX has been dormant for most of Guile's life.
Tcl->Scheme is now in just about the same position.  Yet
translation remains one of Guile's advertisements -- I imagine this
must look pretty pathetic from the outside.  Guile was born out of
politics, and perhaps this is why things are as they are.

Perhaps it's the culture of it -- anyone who wants a different
language doesn't want Scheme, and anyone who isn't good with
Scheme certainly can't make a translator.  But that would explain
why there aren't many translators, not why they don't reach
maturity.

The annoying part is that it wouldn't be that hard to bring them the
last steps.  They need to be tested enough to be robust and
relatively fast.  Then it's mostly packaging -- annoying, but not
intellectually difficult.  It's being able to do "rpm -i guile-ctax" and
then put "(syntax ctax)" at the beginning of a CTAX script.  Less
than that will be too much for the intended audience, for whom
Guile is only an intermediate.

I am somewhat sceptical about how well the translators can
actually perform.  Underlying Scheme semantics are infectious,
and it can make the difference between a translator and an
interpreter challenging to define.  But shallow/syntactic translation
is quite possible and would be a significantly better than the
present situation.  If people *really* wanted translation to happen
there aren't that many barriers.

--
Ian Bicking <bickiia@earlham.edu>