Re: Reintroducing old `defined?'

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@nada.kth.se> writes:

> > You can take my defmacro's when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the
> > keyboard.
>
> :)  There will be a time for that debate when we have a low-level
> implementation of syntax-case macros, but here is some PR:

I was (halfway) joking ;^)

> Actually, in the large majority of cases it's *much* simpler to write
> syntax-case macros than defmacros, and what is great about them is
> that they work.  They don't cause strange unexpected errors due to
> identifier collisions.

Yes, that has always been the promise.

> Many people got scared of hygienic macros after seeing the low-level
> macro facility in R4RS.  In addition to providing the easy-to-use
> high-level facility from R5RS (`syntax-rules'), syntax-case macros
> also support *easy-to-use* low-level power!

But how do I learn them?  I have a lovely learning device for
defmacro's, Graham's 'On Lisp', but I couldn't find anything about how
to pick up syntax-case.

> Also, syntax-case macros integrate naturally with a
> module-system---they don't insert undefined bindings into the
> caller's code.

I lost you here.

-russ

--
The Feynman problem solving Algorithm:
  1. Write down the problem.   2. Think real hard.  3. Write down the answer