broken guile binary on NextStep 3.3

Hi -

   I'm trying to get guile-1.3 running on a Motorola
NeXT running version 3.3 of the OS.

   It doesn't compile out of the box but I messed
around for a while & got things to build (mostly
problems with POSIX compatability in system headers).

   The guile binary seems broken, though.  It does
this :

> guile
ERROR: Unbound variable: p7

...or this...
> guile
ERROR: Unbound variable: :

...whenever it's run.

   I've traced through the code & it seems that
scm_load_startup_code ends up calling scm_open_file
on a *directory* (the installation directory, as it
happens) and then chokes, printing the error above.
Any intuitions as to whether this is an installation
problem (missing file, mangled filename, etc.) or
something I messed up when making changes so guile
would compile (I assume the latter)?

   I'm really just trying to install GNU Robots (which
uses GUILE as an extension language) : I don't want to
write my own program & link guile or anything.  So it's
just for an amusement, but I'd like to get guile
running on my NeXT if I can.

   I've seen reference to debugging tools but can't
figure out what state they're in / exactly what
their nature is.  Tracing through the code in
libguile/*.c was hard because a lot of functions
seemed to be passing args around in scheme structures,
which I couldn't (didn't know how to) inspect with
GDB.  (at least it *looked* like that's what was
going on in the startup code, where I think my
problem is)

   Is there anything to make debugging easier?
How stable do the nightly snapshots tend to be?  If I
want to try to make changes so guile will compile on
my machine should I start with tweaking the 1.3 release
or should I use the 'bleeding edge' right away?

   Obviously I'm totally new to guile, and again my
end goal is frivilous (sp?) so no worries if I can't
get it to work.  In fact if I've posted in an
inappropriate place I apologize.  I have some (very
rusty) scheme experience, though, and *plenty* of
time on my hands, so I figured if I can get it
working I will.

   Thanks for any help anyone can give w/regard to
debugging techniques & ideas about what might be
happening!

     Cheers,

          Josh.