Re: After list change

[This is going to bore those of you that don't do much/any sysadmin or
mail server adming work]

It's called a VERP - a Variable Envelope Return Path.  It encapsulates
the information needed by a list manager to know what the source of a
bounced message is, what message from what list it relates to (specificly
important is the distinction re: what email address the message was sent
to, as opposed to what email address bounced it - i.e. if it's been
forwarded from the envelope from should remain constant between mail
servers).

The advantages are too numerous to list.  See
http://www.pobox.com/~djb/proto/verp.txt for some background.  This is
supported by qmail, and I believe that postfix will be incorperating
support into the sending pipeline at some point.  Postfix should already
support it on the receiving end.

Answers to questions follow:

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 09:57:41PM +0200, Roland Orre wrote:
> Does your guile mail header look as funny as mine after the list change?
>
> I'm especially concerned about the first line which usually contains
> the senders address (if it isn't spam of course), even though the address
> can be anything.

If you sent email to that address, you'd find that it is deliverable, and
does receive email.

> Is it some useful information in this line?
> "guile-return-22-orre=nada.kth.se@sourceware.cygnus.com"
> Is the number 22 (first on new list was 2) referring to me specifically
> or the whole list?

The number 22 refers to the message number in the list archives, if it's
archived, which is the default.  If a few messages to you bounced, then
the list management software would send a probe to your email address
telling you which messages you missed, and then there are other commands
that you can use to have those messages re-sent to you.

Of course, if that bounced you'd be unsubscribed.