Re: A generic reader for Guile?

On 8 Jul 1999, Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:
> Since this would be so useful, since it's a thing that could be
> subdivided into many tasks which different people can work on, and
> since it seems like a few people *are* interested in working on it,
> how about forming a small project group, developing this thing?
>
> I would suggest that Lynn is appointed team leader.  I will supply you
> with my current hack and a few ideas.  I may also be of some help
> concerning low-level details.
>
> How do you feel about this idea, Lynn?

   I'm torn.   On the one hand, I'd like to stop just yammering on the
list and contribute something useful to guile, on the other hand I've got
this streaming media toolset I'm working on (to be released under GPL, of
course).
   It would help if I knew what exactly we're looking to produce.  Like I
said, it would be pretty easy to wrap the bison.simple parser skeleton in
a scheme function in an abstract way (i.e. you would feed the
specifications - tables, error function, scanner, etc) and it would return
a closure as a parser.  I'd be hesitant to translate the whole thing into
scheme without a good reason, as the parser code is completely GOTO'ed
(I'm hesitant because I don't know how close the interpreter can get in
terms of efficiency).
Aside from that, what interface should the scheme package implement?  I
don't know the bigloo one.
   Also, what time frame would this be on?
   I'm happy to serve, I just want to make sure I don't commit to
something I can't do a decent job of...

Lynn