Re: Some questions about GOOPS and CLOS in general

thi <ttn@mingle.glug.org> writes:

> Mikael Djurfeldt writes:
>
>  > Either you want an accessor (read/write) which is the standard case,
>  > or you want a getter (read only).  The only setter case is equivalent
>  > to not having the slot at all.
>
> although this is reasonable, it is also reasonable that an object has
> write-only slots.  eg., w1c bits in hw.  for such things i think it is
> easiest to model w/ a write-only slot.  perhaps supporting write-only
> slots makes goops design simpler?

You're right that write-only slots make sense.  And, in fact, it is
very easy to create this kind of "virtual" slots in GOOPS.

But this doesn't change my argument in a significant way.  Let's just
treat write-only slots the same way we treat read-onlåy slots.