Re: xlib binding

Greg Badros <gjb@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> Stephen Tse <stephent@sfu.ca> writes:
>
> > I want to play with low level xlib like tasks of window managers. I
> > want to do in scheme such that I do them interactively.
> >
> > Are there any particular reasons why you chose guile over elk for
> > scwm? Except being _the_ GNU?
>
> Maciej can better answer this as he's the one who alone made this
> decision.  I had the idea for replacing fvwm2's configuration language
> with Scheme in late September 1997.  Shortly thereafter, I found
> Maciej's release of scwm-0.1 using Guile (he'd done the work before I
> had the idea, but I didn't know about it until early October, IIRC).
> Once I learned of his work, I was excited to have the initial efforts
> underway and joined him instead of going off on my own.

I know it is the Right Thing To Do to contribute exisiting projects
rather than folking yet another one from scratch. I just want to play
with ideas to _learn_.

So you were led to guile instead of choosing guile over other scheme
implementations? Any comments on elk? It seems quite well-developed
and supported.