Re: Guile, CORBA and GNOME

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
>    It has been quite a while since I last posted here.
>
>    As you might know, we have been busy working on the GNOME system,
> and we have been adding to our applications CORBA interfaces, to
> enable other applications to remotely control them.
>
>    We want to base the scripting in the GNOME system on CORBA, as this
> means people will have a wide range of choices for controlling and
> scripting their applications.
>
>    Currently, you can talk to GNOME components using Owen Taylor's
> package (http://news.gnome.org/gnome-news/937786319/index_html) for
> Perl using ORBit.
>
>    His code can talk to a running Interface Repository daemon (which
> we are lacking in GNOME) or parse a CORBA IDL file to import the CORBA
> interface.
>
>    GNOME has two extensions over regular CORBA: we do have an
> authentication system in place and and object activation system.
> Owen's code provide two things: the CORBA bindings and the GNOME
> extensions.
>
>    So, I would like to know if someone is interested in working on
> adding CORBA support to Guile, and a good, solid foundation exists
> that can be taken as a reference.
>
> Miguel.

Hi Miguel,
  You should check out ILU.  It is a free CORBA system from Xerox Parc.
I wrote some Guile bindings for it a couple years ago.  I don't know
the current status of things (I haven't been following either ILU or Guile
too closely).  If you are interested and want some more info then drop
me some email.

The url is ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html

Later,
Bill