Re: guile bangline

> Sender: guile-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
> From: Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de>
> Date: 12 Oct 1999 00:30:18 +0200
>
> James Dean Palmer <james@tiger-marmalade.com> writes:
>
> > I was wondering if there was a way to use env in conjunction with
> > the guile #! ... !# notation?
>
> Hmm, is there something wrong with just
>
>     #! /bin/sh
>     exec guile -s "$0" "$@"
>     !#

1) It's really ugly and cumbersome in comparison with

   #! /usr/bin/env python

2) If you're using emacs, in order for emacs to know it's got to get into
   scheme mode you have to do:

   #! /bin/sh
   # -*- scheme -*-
   exec guile -s "$0" "$@"
   !#

   since emacs only scans the first line of a #! to determine what mode to
   use.  This assumes the file isn't named foo.scm, of course; I rarely put
   suffixes on any of my scripts unless they're modules to be loaded by
   other scripts.

3) Not sure about this one; does

   #! /bin/sh
   exec guile -s "$0" "$@"
   !#

   give the correct return code from the guile script?

Mike

Mike Vanier	mvanier@bbb.caltech.edu
Department of Computation and Neural Systems, Caltech 216-76
GNU/Linux: We can't lose; we're on a mission from God.