Re: running programs.

Hello,

    Friedrich> What is your problem with that. I think it's Scheme
    Friedrich> with extenstions to facilate Shell-programming so what
    Friedrich> is the problem in scsh one can write (let ((ls-output
    Friedrich> (run/strings (ls)))

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand you can't
use run/strings as a pipe.  you need the "(run (| (prog) (prog)) (<
file))" stuff (it's been a while since I've used scsh so i've probably
got the syntax completely wrong).

I'm afraid that this is going to sound like criticism of scsh.  That's
not my intention; everything I list here is a "personal preference".
This is why I don't think scsh is the cat's meow.

I also find scsh is a little heavy (8300 lines code plus SLIB above
the interpreter to run a pipe is a little heavy for a 20 line script).
Further, almost everything it does can already be done directly from
guile.  I don't see any reason to add an entire language on top of
guile's current library just to run a program.

To my mind, scsh has tried to make scheme act like shell; however, for
my purposes I would like to run programs in a "schemish" way.  For
instance, scheme is a prefix language so I want pipes to be in prefix
order.  (run "grep" (run "ls")), not "(run (| (grep) (ls))).

Regards,

Clark