Re: A few random thoughts

Clark McGrew <mcgrew@ale.physics.sunysb.edu> writes:

>     Greg> The only way they'll be improved is if you bitch
>     Greg> about them (nicely, of course... bitch nicely :).
>
> I'd like to see a repository of contributed modules, kind of like
> CPAN.  It's rumored that there is a repository at ftp.red-bean.com,
> but I've run into problems: That address doesn't resolve for me.  It
> would be nice if the web page could link to the site.

Hmm, have no idea why that would be.

> There are lot's
> of us using guile for all sorts of things.  I'd bet that there are
> quite a few of nifty modules out there.  Note: I'm not thinking about
> large libraries and packages.  I'm mostly thinking about the sorts of
> things that might end up in slib, or ice-9.

Actually, my intent with the project list was to have anything, big or
small; maybe project list wasn't the best name, but stuff list sounded
indecisive ;). I could add a separate module section to the project
list (actually, I've been meaning to fix up the categories for quite a
while), or a separate module page (probably a better idea, since the
modules should also be separated by category).

> Along those same lines, I'd like to see a file added to the guile-core
> suggesting a directory hierarchy for modules.  This has been discussed
> in the past, but as far as I know nothing ever came of it.  I'm not
> suggesting a particular module tree, but the file might read something
> like this.  This same information should appear on the webpage.
>
> MODULES ---------
> Where Modules Go
> ===== ======= ==
>
> System Modules: You can find all of the "system" modules distributed
> with guile in the (ice-9 ...) hierarchy.
>
> Application specific modules: Application specific modules should be
> placed in (app <application> ...) to help minimize name collisions.
>
> SRFI: Scheme request for implementation modules can be found in the
> (srfi srfi-n).  These modules most re-export symbols that are defined
> in modules with more friendly names.
>
> Other Modules: User modules should be placed in one of:
>      (util ...) General utility modules.
>      (net  ...) Network interface modules
>      (whatever ...) ...
>
> This is a case where I don't think the exact hierarcy is all that
> important, but guile is getting mature that it makes since to suggest
> a "common practice" for module naming.

I'd like to see this too.

--
Greg