Unexec'ing Scwm [was Re: Proposal for a Guile binary file format]

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@thalamus.nada.kth.se> writes:

<snip>

> I suspect (but don't know) that much of the startup time of Scwm
> consists of parsing files and allocating objects.  Here's a proposal
> for a Guile binary format which would speed up that part.

<snip>

There is another approach that Scwm may be able to take: dumping via
guile-hobbit's unexec capability.  I've got a dumped Scwm to run, but
not of the state loaded before dumping is in the resulting executable.
I'm not sure how to go about figuring out what's wrong, but I imagine
that there are folks on this list who have experience with Emacs's
unexec and might be valuable in getting this feature to work all the
way.  This would be a huge win because then only the .scwmrc file would
need to be loaded as all the other modules could be included in the
dumped Scwm.

Greg