Re: guile-gc 0.15 released

Greg.Harvey+guile-gc@thezone.net writes:

> * Two cell heaps; ok, they've been around for a while, but now there's
>   actually objects that use them, thanks to Michael Livshin
>   :). configure with --enable-gc-two-cell-heaps to have these objects
>   added. Currently you don't really want this unless you use goops or
>   a lot of double math (or dynamic linking); if not, the number of
>   objects actually in the new heap is pretty pathetic.

to clear an apparent misunderstanding: Goops doesn't use any two cell
objects yet.  but the "a lot of double math" thing is not a bad reason
anyway.

>   Note that this
>   doesn't include the three cell heap changes he made (I'm not
>   convinced it's worth it, to be honest).

me neither, to be equally honest.  what I thought about recently is a
generalization of heap cell allocation, to have a way to allocate any
<power-of-two>-cell objects.  but this is very close to what a
reasonable malloc implementation does for you, so it probably isn't
worth much as an allocation speed optimization.  I guess I'll go
entertain my cat instead.

the three-cell thing is definitely a bad idea, for bit-bashing
reasons.  all those non-power-of-two numbers suck, anyway ;)

> --
> Greg

--mike.

--
I'm on a seafood diet -- I see food and I eat it.           -- anonymous