Re: GUILE projects

>>>>> "Marius" == Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

Marius> But let me also say that I don't think that Guile really needs a new
Marius> evaluator.  In my opinion, the current one works very well and trying
Marius> to do better is a sizeable research project with a good chance of
Marius> failing.  There are more important things on the surface.

I completely agree.

The current interpreter is pretty efficient compared to other
interpreters (SCM is slightly better, all other scheme interpreters I
have tried are worse (some even a lot)).

To truely boost performance, compiler technology is needed, but as
shown by the bytecode experiments done in the early life of guile,
bytecodes will not do it by themselves. An optimizer will be crucial
in realizing any significant performance gains.

For those interested in (or in need of) performance, helping out in
getting hobbit properly polished would be logical first step.

Christian Lynbech          | Ericsson Telebit A/S
Fax:   +45 8628 8186       | Fabrikvej 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8628 8177 + 28  | email: chl@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.tbit.dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)