Re: should GOOPS be built-in?

Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> writes:

> > Nope.  I think it is useful to merge it now.

Maybe I should be a bit clearer: The reason why it's useful is that,
as soon as it has been merged (which basically amounts to 1. fixing
copyright asigment with Erick, 2. copying the GOOPS file into the
distribution, and 3. placing an init call at the appropriate place)
work can commence on several things, one being developing a better
representation than the structs, and, eventually, replacing them.

With the current, separate distributions, things are a bit locked up
due to compatibility issues.

I have no plans to do these things, however, but I will try to get
time to do something about method compilation during Christmas.

> > > Where? Is this free? Can it be distributed with GOOPS?
> >
> > This is a book which you will find at, e.g., Amazon.  Chapter 5, which
> > contains the spec of the MOP for CLOS, can be downloaded via
> > Kiczales' homepage at Xerox PARC.
>
> So we need at least a brief _free_ intro to be distributed with
> GOOPS. If possible, written by someone who read this book.
> (Sorry to be playing RMS here, but we just agreed that
> documentation is one of the major points to work on. And well,
> I actually _like_ RMS, hehehe)

You're right.  Who will do it?