Re: Scwm docstrings change

    Greg> Clark McGrew <mcgrew@ale.physics.sunysb.edu> writes:

    >> Please don't use macro's to change the syntax of C.  That's
    >> great for the person who wrote and developed the system, but it
    >> severely decreases the readability of the code.

    Greg> No, it doesn't.  All you have to do is learn the syntax once
    Greg> and then it is not a problem.

And using a different language entirely can also enhance the
readability.  I've seen, learned and used plenty of conventions since
they come and go like fads.

    Greg> I've a lot of experience with the headaches and pains that
    Greg> macros can cause programmers and tools, yet here I'm
    Greg> absolutely convinced that the benefits far outweigh those
    Greg> costs.

I think we all have experience with cpp headaches.  I've found that
they usually happen long after the originator has left the project.
It seems that the brighter the original author, the worse the problems
tend to be in the long run.

Obviously you're going to do the work so you get the final vote.  I
just worry that in 10 or 15 years, somebody is going to look at this
code and have to figure it out.

Cheers,

Clark