Re: Making Guile slower (3.4 and 6.7%). (was Re: NIMP thing)

If Guile's performance were within 10% of the top Scheme interpreters,
then I would worry about changes like this.  But we're not even in the
ballpark.

For now, Guile developers should be looking for major algorithmic and
structural improvements that will give us speedups in the 30% - 50%
range, and all other efforts should be bent towards readibility.
So I think Greg's approach was correct.

Mikael, you've spent time working on SCM, which was, for a long time,
the fastest Scheme interpreter around.  I think your approach makes
sense for that situation, but not for Guile's.