Re: ChangeLog renaming...

One other reason for copying cvs log entries from ChangeLog entries
instead of vice versa:

The changes I'm concerned about are complicated, multi-file changes.
Usually, when I have such a change working, it is far from "finished".
I have to remove debugging print-outs, add comments, make last-minute
cleanups that I forgot about, write a little note in the NEWS file,
and so one.  And write ChangeLog entries.  What works for me is
"cvs update" to get a list of changed files, paste that into the ChangeLog,
then "cvs diff" each changed file.  For each file, I do the little
cleanups I mentioned about, and write the ChangeLog at the same time.
This can be quite a tedious multi-hour job, but I think it is a
important part of the job:  Not only does it help write ChangeLog
entries, but it also allows me to catch the little things that
need to be cleaned up.  As I check each file or set of files in,
I paste the relevant ChangLog entries into the cvs log.

Going the other way (write cvs log entries and generating ChanegLogs
from the cvs logs) does not allow the same kind of methodic review,
because cvs log entries are written as the file is checked in.
Hence I believe software care and quality would suffer.
--
	--Per Bothner