Re: Guile modularity (was Re: message primitive)

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:

> Substitute ~A for %s and ~S for %S, otherwise do as you had planned
> (with the exception of calling it "format" instead of "simple-format").

(Sorry for being so incredibly stupid that I always leave out
 important bits of information in my mails.)

Of course, we also should add `format's first DESTINATION arg as well.
Also, if you're worried that it might be confusing to the users to
have an "incomplete" format: We could make the simple format recognise
all kinds of attempts to use full functionality and generate an error:
"Attempt to use full format features.  Use the (... format) module."
or something like that.  Detecting these situations requires less code
than one would expect---it's only to check for other stuff than A and
S after ~.

/mdj

P.S. I didn't answer properly about the module system: No, you're
right that we shouldn't attempt to implement a pure R5RS module in the
current module system.  But also note that a new module system is a
very important item on the Guile wish list.  Without it, we'll be
stuck in a cul de sac in some areas of development.