parsing and generating binary data

hello folks-

  i'd like to parse and generate arbitrary binary data and i was
wondering whether anyone could point me at some sample code and/or
suggest some modules i might be able to use to do this -- i looked
through my local .scm files w/o much success.  i'm thinking of
functionality like pack/unpack in perl or the struct module from
python.

  i'm a relative newbie concerning guile (though i've had some
experience writing elisp), so please be gentle.

  also, i've been reading the guile-ref, guile-tut, and goops docs;
are minor comments about grammar and such relevant at this point?  or
should these kinds of things wait 'til the documentation has been
fleshed out a bit more?

p.s. thanks a lot for guile ;-)