Re: Python transformer for Guile?

sen_ml writes:

   mdj> Is anyone interested in working on a Python translator for Guile?

   i am very interested, but doubt how useful i would be ;-)  but i'd love
   to learn what might be involved.  may be i can continue the trend of
   over-committing...

   one thing i have wondered about in the past is whether the parsing
   code used to implement the source language (in this case python) can't
   be re-used for the task -- at least from a technical perspective.

I have wondered exactly this for Elisp.  It seems like it should work:
all you have to do (using the Elisp case as an example - I don't know
Python) is branch the reader code at the point where it creates a
LispObject for whatever it has just read so that it creates either a
LispObject or a SCM.  I suspect that the main problem would be code
management - how do you make sure that the two branches stay up to
date with each other?  (This problem applies independently of whether
the Guile code is in the Emacs codebase or in a copy of Emacs' read.c
in the Guile codebase.)

Or am I being seriously naive here?

   Neil